The Collaborative No. 5
Today we are featuring Everyday Visionary Hannah Somerville, Community Lead for the world's largest professional community, in downtown Dallas.
Hannah excels at bringing a large community of entrepreneurs together to initiate collaboration. She seeks out people who are passionate about the purpose and vision of their enterprises and helps them bring their visions into reality.
Her passion may initiate and draw people into conversations, but it is her humility and servant heart that set her apart. When a person goes above and beyond their job description and brings their whole being to the game, that is visionary and that is Hannah Somerville.
- What’s your name?
- Where do you currently work?
- What is your current role?
- How would you describe to a child what you do for a living?
I hang out in a super cool space and it feels like a party all of the time. My job is to throw parties.
- What do you hope you have a reputation for as a professional?
Always showing up for others with unending optimism.
- What is an accomplishment from your career that meant the world to you?
Creating partnerships with nonprofit organizations that helped them thrive.
- What is one of the biggest lessons you’ve had to learn the hard way in your career?
Not to take things personally.
- What are some of your go-to sources of inspiration and staying on top of emerging trends that impact your field or industry?
Local news/business news websites as well as blogs showcasing Dallas businesses.
- What is something you need in your work environment in order to thrive in your role?
Meaningful connecting with other humans.
- What do you envision for your customers/clients/stakeholders/ patients/citizens/students, etc.?
Their success and happiness!
- What is one of the biggest challenges you are facing or trying to solve right now?
Learning to be a leader
- What are three of your favorite books?
Hundred Percenters by Mark Murphy
H3 Leadership by Brad Lomenick
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- What’s one of your favorite non-profits?
- If you could collaborate with any group or individual in the world, who would be your top three picks?
People smarter than me
Motivated young people
- What would you want to collaborate on with the people/groups you just mentioned?
Learning, supporting and teaching, respectively
- If you were invited to give a TED Talk (or have given one), what would you speak about?
Getting to know and love yourself before all else
- How do you unwind at the end of a stressful day?
Walk my dog
- What do you think your 80-year-old self would tell you right now?
"I told you everything would turn out okay."
- What do you think your 10-year-old self would be most impressed with about your life right now?
How much fun I get to have every day!
- What does your creative process entail when you're doing what you do best?
Open-ended brainstorming, going with my gut, putting others first
- Is there anything particularly compelling that you want us to know that we didn’t ask?
On a personal level, I'm driven by opportunities to learn & grow.